South African National Editors Forum (SANEF)
The South African National Editors’ Forum (SANEF) is a body representing editors of newspapers, and of digital and broadcasting platforms in South Africa. It strives to champion media freedom and the protection of journalists under threat.
The meeting was held upon the request of UUCSA as part of its outreach programme with critical stakeholders. The purpose of the meeting was as follows;
• To evaluate the power of the media in shaping public opinion.
• To build rapport with those at the helm of media establishments
• To look at the adverse impact of stereotyping and negative profiling of Muslims & Islam
Specific concerns raised by UUCSA representatives included the following:
• The grey area between freedom of speech and the liberty to denigrate
• Selective and unbalanced coverage of international events
• Indiscriminate usage of terminology loaded with Islamic bias Independence of the editors and media establishments